Saturday 5 November 2011

Horses

The next day I was buzzing form the night before. I texted Amanda wishing her a good day. As I drove to work I passed her dropping of her eldest at the bus stop. We stole a moment, enough to say the smile said more than words ever would. I can't describe the feeling that I felt but it, warmed me in a way I never felt before. The amount of mistakes I made at work that day was unreal I felt like an apprentice all over again, I couldn't keep up with the rest of the lads I was working with. It's fair to say that drinks time couldn't come soon enough.

As I knocked on the door, I remember hoping things were going to be ok when she opened it. It was different now as I was stone cold sober, as all the dutch courage was gone. She came to the door dressed in her work wears, I went instantly scarlet. A grin appeared on both our faces, evidently things couldn't have been better.

She still had her horses to tend too so I went and gave her a hand mucking out, umm the sweet smell of ammonia. She had three horses, Prince an Arab, Charlie and Buttons both welsh pony's. Prince and Buttons both had a stable each and Charlie would just wonder around pleasing herself. Horses were a new concept to me and I was a bit standoffish unsure of how best to handle them without having my foot trod on. I did admire how she handled them, it was a true skill which was impressive to watch. The horses all had their quirks. Prince liked his creature comforts and would give anything not to be put outside if it was raining or cold, Charlie was quite a self important mare who liked to be left alone if she could, and Buttons was the entertainer of the group and had an uncanny knack of standing on the kid's feet to make them cry.

Drinks time was split between sipping Wine and kissing on the sofa. The chocs, cheese and biscuits were just not interesting enough anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment